Built in 1911-1912, the Bard House was the third home on the same site for Bard and his family. The two preceeding homes were as distinct as their present day successor. The first was a one-story, two bedroom house built in 1876 which boasted a zinc-lined bathtub and the only indoor plumbing in the area. In 1890 this original home was enlarged and served as the gound floor of a new three story home with a gravity water supply. In 1911 the second home was torn down in order to clear the site for the construcion of the present Thomas R. Bard House. Much of the lumber from the second house was reused in building the new mansion and it can be easily be identified in the attic. The Thomas R. Bard House is a handsome example of a Renaissance style building. The only ornate additions to the relatively simple, pleasing lines of this house are the classical columns and beautiful stonework which grace the entrances and porches. The order of the columns on the first level is Tuscan and on the second is Ionic. The cornice is also Ionic. Several other features, however, such as sweeping windows adorned with attractive wrought iron railing and a red, mission tile roof, add a Spanish influence to the entire structure. The building was designed by the well-known architect, Mr. Myron Hunt, of Los Angeles and Pasadena. The equally beautiful interior is evidence of family pride and a personal touch in the construction of the new mansion. The floor plans were prepared by Mr. Reginald C. Shand, who later became a member of the family when he married Miss Elizabeth Bard. Exquisite wood paneling, many fireplaces, and extremely high ceiling (12'6"), doors (9'6") are found throughout the building. Other characteristics are a floor area of 17,408 square feet, a volume of 245,539 cubic feet, reinforced concrete vaults, 12 bedrooms, 7 full baths, and four 1/2 baths. Each room bears a distinct name those names are enscribed on the original architect's drawings. For instance, the principal rooms were disignated as Senator Bard's Room, Senator Bard's Bedroom, Mrs. Bard's Room, Miss Malden's Room, Miss Elizabeth's Room, Miss Anna's Room, Miss Beryl's Room, and the Glass Room.
The United States Navy acquired the property in 1944 as a home for the newly formed Seabees. Today the Thomas R. Bard House is used by the Naval Base Ventura County (formerly known as the United States Naval Construction Battalion Center) as a conference center.
Historic Home and Gardens Port Hueneme, California
Click on thumbnail for enlargement & slide show.